Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Ideas for Circle Time




Circle activities can help everyone to get ready for the next part of the routine, as well as help children feel part of the group.

Circle times can also be another transitional problem if: the teacher is not prepared and keeps the children waiting; there is not enough space for everyone; activities prepared are not appropriate for the particular age or a large group; the children are forced, rather than invited to participate; guidelines for group time behavior are not clear.

A big problem often occurs when group times are too long. Plan realistically for the group's attention span.

Ask the children for their ideas for group time activities.

A group time can also be used to help with the other transitions. For example, during a group time after breakfast, you can talk to the children about morning activities, have a few at a time select an activity and move to it while another teacher is setting up.
Getting ready for group time
Take time to prepare the children for listening.  Get their attention before you begin. 

Start circle time with lots of movement. Use a “wandering bean bag”. Pass a bean bag round and round the standing circle, then sit and start passing it again.

 Vary your activities during circle time so they are noisy and quiet; up and down, busy and still. The children will last longer, and so will you!

Story time ends when the first shoe comes off.  If any child is not paying attention, it will become contagious.  It’s OK to quit in the middle of a story.

Attention Getters

Bubbles Bubbles Bubbles!! Bubbles make a great cool down activity after a great hot recess outside or just to move from centers or other activities to circle time. We simply come inside put on some music (soothing works best) and settle down while blowing bubbles. Either the teacher can blow the bubbles or you can have a designated bubble blower. If you put down plastic (either a shower curtain or table cloth, you should be able to confine the soap and make it easy to clean up without creating slick spots on tile,  or crud catchers on carpet.  You could also just blow bubbles at the door (or have the designated bubble blower of the day do the job).

 Zipadeedoodah......Use the Greg and Steve song version of Zipadeedoodah......or any other song you and the children designate as a signal before time.  The children know when they hear this song, it's time to move on to the next activity on your schedule.

 Teacher Models Desired Behavior. Consider just sitting quietly in the gathering area.

Pig Stomp.  When making the transition from center time to lunch time, play the Greg and Steve song, Three Little Pigs to get their wiggles out..

Kids in Motion.  Put in the CD Kids in Motion (Greg and Steve) and let the children move around to Animal Action or Body Rock. Or any of the other fun songs. This way, they will get some of the wiggles out as they are moving to Circle Time and before sitting down.

The Laughing Scarf. Toss a colorful scarf in the air and ask the children to help out by laughing, stomping, or clapping as loud as they can while the scarf is in the air- then stop when it hits the ground .  It won't be long until everyone's attention is on you and your group.

If You Are Listening. Be sure you say softly or whisper.  If you are listening to me touch your head, If you listening to me put your hands on your hips...etc" Keep changing the body part until everyone is focused.  Once everyone is with you ask them to be seated or to move to centers or the next activity.

The Quiet Game.  See who can stay quiet the longest. There is no talking, laughing, or any kind of vocal noise. On the count of three have everyone zip their lips and start the game.  When someone makes a sound, the game is over.  Have a good laugh then pick up the book you are going to read as a signal that it is time to be quiet and listen.

 Open, Shut Them. Instead of saying it the traditional way, Say "open" very slowly , holding the last syllable as long as possible and holding your hands open. When you have a child’s attention,   say “shut them” very quickly and quickly shut your hands together. Repeat until all the children are doing it with you. 

Poems

 Wiggle your fingers, (wiggle fingers) Wiggle your toes, (wiggle toes) Wiggle your ears, (move earlobes back n' forth) Wiggle your nose, (wiggle nose w/ fingers) Now we have had our fill, It is time to sit still (fold hands neatly in your lap).

Teacher:  "123 eyes on me" Children: "1 2 Eyes on You!” 

If you want to hear a story this is what you've got to do. Got to sit on the rug like the pretzels do.
So find your place, and clap your hands, so your teacher'll know that you understand.  That's Right! (That's right) That's Right!

 I put my hands upon my head… On my shoulders... On my face… At my waist… At my side… Then behind me they will hide…  I lift them way up in the sky… Let my fingers fly, fly, fly… Clap clap clap...and one two three… See how quiet they can be. (Make a big deal of interlacing your fingers.)

Only one can talk at a time, And this is what I'll do: I'll be as quiet as a little mouse Till other folks are through

1, 2 You know what to do.  3, 4 Sit on the floor.   5, 6 Your feet you fix.   7, 8 Sit up straight.
9, 10 Let's listen again.

 Sit crisscross applesauce hands in your lap. Crisscross applesauce hands in your lap. Sit crisscross applesauce hands in your lap. Cause that's the way we like to sit .... Yeah

Point to the window….  Point to the door ….  Point to the ceiling….  Point to the floor ….  Point to your elbow….  Point to your knee …. Point to you…. and point to me!

Here are grandma's glasses ( put thumbs and forefingers together and place over eyes. Here is grandma's hat (form teepee on head with hands.)  And here is how she folds her hands and lays them in her lap.  Here are grandpa's glasses (form circle on eyes with fingers and thumbs. I usually use a deeper voice)  Here is grandpa's hat. (teepee on head)  And here is how he folds his arms just like that. (Cross arms.)  Children may have to be shown how to put arms akimbo the first time.

Hands upon my head I place, Upon my shoulders and on my face, At my waist and by my side, And then behind me they will hide. And then I'll raise them way up high And let my fingers fly, fly, fly. With a clap, clap, clap And a one, two, three Lets see how quiet we can be!

Hold hands over head, palms together like a belly dancer: Then say, "One, two, three, four, hoochy-koochy to the floor".

My friend is "Tori" (clap syllables of name)
My friend is "Tori” (clap syllables of name)
"T - O - R – I” (point to each letter of the child’s name as you say it together)
My friend is "Tori"  (clap syllables of name)
Have the child stand while you are chant "their" name.

Songs 

 I’m Glad You Came to School – (The Farmer in the Dell) I’m glad (child’s name) came to school, I’m glad (child’s name) came to school, we’ve planned lots of fun for you,
I’m glad (child’s name) came to school,.

I Am Special -- (Frere Jacques) I am special, I am special. Look and see, Look and see. I am very special, I am very special.  God loves me, God loves me.

It Is Circle Time -- (Frere Jacques) It is circle time, It is circle time. Come and sit, Come and sit. Let us learn together, Let us learn together. It's circle time, It's circle time

 I Am Waiting – (Frere Jacques) I am waiting. I am waiting, I am waiting just for you To show me that you’re ready, And I'll be ready too.
As the children begin to sit down change the words to:
We are waiting, We are waiting, We are waiting just for you To show us that you're ready,And we'll be ready too.

Are You Talking? – (Frere Jacques) Are you talking? Are you talking? I hear you. I hear you
Show me that you're quiet.Show me that you're quiet. Sh Sh Sh Sh Sh Sh

 If You’re Ready --  (If You're Happy and You Know It) If you're ready for a story find a seat;
if you're ready for a story find a seat; if you're ready for a story check your hands and then your feet; if you're ready for a story find a seat. 

Put Your Legs in a Box -- (If You're Happy and You Know It) Put your legs in a box, in a box. Put your legs in a box, in a box. Put your legs in a box and a bubble in your mouth, Put your legs in a box, in a box. Put your hands in your lap, in your lap....
Put a bubble in your mouth , in your mouth,.........
It can be changed into any words that you use for a similar situation.

Everybody Have a Seat -- (If You're Happy And You Know It) Everybody have a seat, have a seat, have a seat. Everybody have a seat on the floor. Not on the ceiling, not on the door, Everybody have a seat on the floor.

We’re Going to Shake Those Ants Out of Our Pants – (I’m Gonna Wash That Man Right Outta My Hair) Whenever they become very fidgety at circle time, tell them it is time to "shake those ants out of their pants. Stand up and begin to sing:
We're going to shake those ants out of our pants, we're going to shake those ants out of our pants, So let's dance!
Do this at least four times ending the song very slowly and softly, and then whisper, “Now sit down.”

 Itsy Bitsy Spider:  Sing the song three times. First sing it usual with hand motions, then hum it still using the hand motions, and finally just use your hands with no singing or humming.

 Time for Circle. – (Oh, My Darling Clementine) Time for circle, time for circle, Time for circle time today, Let's sit down, let's be quiet, Wonder what we will learn today?

Hush, Hush -- (Row, Row, Row Your Boat) Hush, hush, quiet please, Let's all gather near. Find a friend and sit right down, Circle time is here.

If You’re Ready for a Story – (She'll Be Coming Round the Mountain) If you're ready for a story, please sit down, If you're ready for a story please sit down, If you're ready for a story, If you're ready for a story, If you're ready for a story please sit down.

It’s Time to Watch and Listen -- (Sing a Song of Sixpence) It's time to watch and listen, We're going to read a book. We'll sit down on the rug And use our eyes to look. We'll look at pictures, And hear the story, too. Oh, what fun it is to share This story time with you!

Welcome Song – (Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star) Let’s see who is here today . . . who has come to sing and play? Find a circle on the ground. Find a circle and please sit down. Let's see who is here today . . . who has come to sing and play?

Estoy Esperando -- (Where is Thumbkin) Estoy esperando, Estoy esperando Que mis amigos, Que mis amigos Entren a la rueda, Entren a la rueda. Sientense, Sientense
In English:  I am waiting, I am waiting For all my friends, For all my friends To come and join our circle, To come and join our circle, Sit right down, Sit right down..

Adapted from:

Gayle’s Preschool Rainbow. (2009)  Preschool nursery rhymes for transition times.  http://www.preschoolrainbow.org/transition-rhymes.htm -- downloaded 6/22/2009
Perpetual Classroom (2006) Let’s clean up. http://www.perpetualpreschool.com/cleaning_up.htm -- downloaded 6/20/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment